Sunday, April 15, 2007

Revelations

This happens to me often. I'm schlepping along, minding my own business, when something shiny catches my attention. I stop. I look. I read and absorb, enthralled. I fail to notice the tendrils of a carnivorous plant slinking around my ankles, executing its ingenious plan to suck me in and make me participate in its nefarious pursuits. That's how memes get me... usually. This one I had to volunteer for. So, while doing some casual reading at Tracy Lynn's site, I got zapped with this Interview/ 5 Questions thing. Since I'm a joiner, I jumped up and down to be included in the games. Here goes (her questions are in fashionable green): 1)Where exactly IS Spiffytown? It's not a place, but a state of mind. BWAAAAAAAH!!! heh heh... naw, I can't leave it like that. Pretentious drivel is something I'm only a little good at. Spiffytown is wherever I happen to be at any moment. In fact, it doesn't have to be a moment that now exists - truly, do moments ever exist? Once you notice it, it becomes the past and therefore no longer exists as this moment. I have no problem tripping around in time and space to find nuggets of nonsense that entertain and interest me. And, I like sharing nonsense, thus this place was created. So, Spiffytown is loosely Michigan based, but can pick up and move around easier than a pack mule in a catapult. 2)If you could be rich and stupid or poor and smart, which would you choose and why? I like my life generally. It's already the latter more than the former, and there are far too many stupid people in all socio-economic strata. So I'll take smart and see if I can turn a buck with my wits. And a bit of rope. 3)When I say JUMP, what do you say? 'MMkay. 4)What's the weirdest food that's ever been offered to you? I'm not a big seafood fan, so the first things I thought of were squid and mussels. But it's not that weird to some people. Soybeans got me though. People were at a party munching on soybeans in pods, and said they were tasty. I tried one. It was gross. Then, an hour later, I noticed someone putting the empty husk of a used soybean pod into a bowl. The way you enjoy soybeans is pinch the beans from the pod with your teeth, like skittles from a sleeve. I drew from the discard pile, so to speak. Much alcohol was warranted to make me unremember that and get the taste out... The fresh ones, from the 'fresh one' bowl, were noticeably better. 5)Name your five favorite movies of ALL TIME. 1. Braveheart. Most moving story, and best philosophy on serving something greater than oneself that I've ever witnessed. Makes me want to be a hero. 2. Monty Python In Search of the Holy Grail. Not that strong by itself, but watched repeatedly during my geeky formative years with great friends, it is the most quotable and absurd amusement movie ever. 3. Star Wars, Episodes 4-6. I put the whole trilogy in because it's my list, dangitt, and it deserves its iconic status. Great story, groundbreaking visuals, and all the things my demographic at the time was wired to eat right up. 4. Princess Bride. Again, chock-full of quotable lines, real comedy, a grand story, and terrific imagery. 5. The Matrix. Allegorical, stunning, inspiring, dark and adventurous. Here's how it works - you too can play! In order to be tagged, do this:

  1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
  2. I will respond by asking you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
  3. You will update your weblog with the answers to the questions.
  4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
  5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

1 comment:

kenju said...

Interesting answers, and fun to read. Thanks for sharing.